For the Session Long Project you will be choosing a company whose product you personally use and applying the concepts from the background materials to analyze this company’s marketing strategy.
Make sure to choose a company that has a lot of information available, as you will need to analyze many different aspects of this company’s marketing strategy while writing up your Modules 1-4 papers. It is best to choose a large and well known company since these companies will generally have the most information available about it.
Do some research on your chosen company and the specific product from this company that you use, and also review the background materials on product classifications, the product life cycle, and new product development. When you are done with your research and have thoroughly reviewed the background materials, write a two to three page paper addressing the following questions:
- Briefly describe the company and product you have chosen, and why you chose it. Then explain what type of product it is based on the classifications from Richardson and Gosnay (2010).
- What stage of the product life cycle is this product at right now? What strategies could this company use to extend the life of the product? Use the concepts from Richardson and Gosnay (2010) and Paley (2007) in your answer.
- What recommendation do you have for a new product from this company that you would personally use if they introduced it?
- Answer the assignment questions directly.
- Stay focused on the precise assignment questions, don’t go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
- Make sure to use reliable and credible sources as your references. Articles published in established newspapers or business journals/magazines are preferred. If you find articles on the internet, make sure it is from a credible source.
- Reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and in-text citations. See the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper, including pages 13-14 on in-text citations. Another resource is the “Writing Style Guide”, which is found under “My Resources” in the TLC portal.